Vlkolínec is located in the Veľká Fatra mountain range at an altitude of 718m under the hill Sidorovo and not very far from the Hrabovo Apartments. Vlkolínec is a permanently inhabited village, nowadays with 29 inhabitants in 18 houses from a total number of 55 houses. In 1993 it was added to the UNESCO list of world cultural heritage sites as a unique land habitation architectural complex where time appears to have stopped and which offers the opportunity to see a traditional mountain settlement and the traditional way of life in Slovakian mountain environments.
Ružomberok the centre of Lower Liptov, lies on the confluence of the Rivers Váh and Revúca in the western part of the Liptov hollow basin at the edge of significant Slovak mountain ranges Veľká Fatra, Chočské vrchý and Nízky Tatry.The first written mention about the settlement is from 1233.The town privileges were granted in 1318. To the town gave them Archbishop Tomaš from commandment of the Lord of Zvolen, Magister Knight Donč.Archbishop Tomaš to give the town privileges.In 1340 King Charles Robert agreed with the town privileges and extended them.
In the Liptov Museum there are permanent exhibitions of photographs, exhibits and artefacts from the Liptov region. In addition to the permanent exhibitions there are also various exhibitions of fine arts and photographs (Photo Forum and Strom). Also accessible to the public are permanent exhibitions of nature, archaeology, history, ethnography, the history of paper in Slovakia and an exhibition about the life and works of Andrej Hlinka. All these exhibits are located in the main building of the museum.
Liptov village museum Pribylina
It is a part of the Liptov museum in Ružomberok. There are buildings from the area flooded by the building of the Liptovska Mara dam and from some of the villages from upper and lower Liptov. There are 11 wooden houses, agricultural complexes, blacksmith, and two impressive brick buildings a copy of an early gothic church from Liptovská Mary and a gothic-renaissance church from Parížovce.Nowadays most of the buildings are accessible to the public.In the Liptov village museum there are also organised cultural events,showing us the habits and way of life in the Liptov region.
The ruins of Likava castle stand on one of the rocky peaks of the Chočské Vrchy on the right bank of the river Vah. It was supposed to protect the crossing point of the River Vah near Ružomberok and the important route from Považia to Orava and Poland. The Lord of Zvolen Magister Donč was responsible for the building of the castle. The castle is partly preserved and is accessible to the public during the summer season.
A well preserved castle standing on limestone cliffs, at a height of 112m above the river Orava, overlooking the village of Oravský Podzámok. The castle is a national cultural monument.Orava castle once the residence of the Orava Lord was built in the 13th century on the site of a former prehistoric settlement. The first written historical mention comes from 1267, when it was the King’s property. Over time the owner has changed. The current look of the castle is due to the Thurzo dynasty, whose reconstruction work put the castle among the most important buildings of the renaissance age. In 1800 there was a big fire at the castle and it was badly damaged. It was though quickly repaired, and the Pálffy dynasty the last owners tried to tried give it a romantic feel.